CMC MOTORS GROUP
Cooper Motor Corporation (Uganda) Ltd is owned by CMC Holdings Ltd and was acquired by the Al-Futtaim Group in 2014. Other trading subsidiaries owned by CMC Holdings Ltd include:
- CMC Motors Group Limited (Kenya) Ltd.
- Hughes Motors (Tanzania) Ltd
- Kenya Vehicle Manufacturers Ltd (33% Shareholding)
Cooper Motor Corporation (Uganda) Ltd is a leading player in the East African motor industry with exclusive distribution of New Holland tractors with an extensive range of farming implements from New Holland, Nardi and Fieldking.
With its two sister companies in both Kenya and Tanzania, Cooper Motor Corporation (Uganda) Ltd has by far the largest distribution network in East Africa for sales, parts, and service.
At CMC, Respect, Integrity, Collaboration and Excellence are the values we live by, that help us action our Purpose and Vision. It is how we work and interact with others.
We actively build trusted partnerships with all the constituencies of our business —including customers, principals, partners, communities, and colleagues. We harness the strengths of individuals and teams, and we have an unyielding desire to win together. We work collaboratively, and we hold ourselves and each other accountable.
HOW WE GOT HERE
CMC was incorporated as a private limited company in July 1948 when Mr Allen and Mr Cooper came to East Africa to sell Land Rovers
With an authorized share capital of 10,000 Pounds Sterling and a total staff of two, trading commenced in borrowed offices in a wooden hut along the then Jackson Road and in 1952 moved to Connaught House. In 1956 Cooper Motor Corporation was converted from a private company to a public company which provided vehicle sales, parts, service and administration under one roof.
Over the years the Volkswagen, Audi, Nissan Diesel, Nash, Marine crafts and Evinrude outboard engine franchises were added. The VW Beetle proved itself a star particularly after winning the East African Safari Rally four times. The introduction of the VW Microbus also proved successful and played an important role in revolutionizing transport in the tourist industry. During the 60's and 70's CMC acquired a number of companies one of which was the Wilken Group which later became CMC Aviation Limited.
Perhaps one of the most significant takeovers in CMC's history was that of Benbros Motors in 1973. With Benbros came the British Leyland passenger cars and medium commercial vehicle franchises. This together with the substantial property between Bunyala and Lusaka Roads gave CMC the ideal location and allowed development of the site into the outstanding complex it is today. During this period the company was under the leadership of Mr J. Benzimra until his retirement in 1985.
In 1971, CMC restructured itself into CMC Holdings Limited, the holding company for the group. CMC's involvement in vehicle assembly started in 1974 after the conclusion of lengthy negotiations with Leyland Kenya, now KVM, when they acquired a 33 percent shareholding. In 1981 CMC bought McKenzie Dalgety's shares in Hughes Limited and took over the Ford and Mazda franchises. Today, CMC has grown to become one of Kenya's largest and most respected automotive distributors within East Africa.
CMC Kenya established
CMC Uganda established
CMC Engineering established
Kenya Vehicle Manufacturers LTD established
Hughes, subsidiary of CMC established in Tanzania
CMC acquired by Al-Futtaim Group
AL-FUTTAIM AUTO GROUP
An innovation leader in the auto industry, Al-Futtaim Automotive Group has a widespread and well-developed distribution network, currently operating in 14 countries, including the UAE, Iraq, Kenya, Pakistan, Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Representing the leading brands of the global auto industry
Al-Futtaim Automotive Group is proud to represent some of the world’s most popular and desirable auto brands. Its automotive businesses span more than 25 global car brands, including Honda, Toyota, Lotus, Lexus and Volvo.
The group is regarded as a pioneer in the Middle Eastern and African automotive industries. Its service offering encompasses every aspect of the automotive value chain from passenger cars, commercial cars, construction equipment sales and auto logistics, to used car sales, auto leasing and rentals.
Al-Futtaim Automotive Group has a comprehensive network of showrooms and service centres, through which it provides all its customers with the highest standards of convenience, choice and after sales service.
- Al-Futtaim Automotive Group represents over 25 car brands
- Its automotive solutions span more than 170 showrooms and after-sales locations
- The workforce is drawn from over 70 nationalities
- Al-Futtaim Automotive Group clocks up in excess of 5,000 hours of service every day
- The automotive group invests in 25,000 training man days per year
- Three parts are picked every second
Al-Futtaim Automotive Group recognises the importance of local, highly specific expertise even within the context of the global automotive industry.
P.O.Box 152, Dubai, UAE
+971 4 706 2222
+971 4 706 2139
KENYAN VEHICLE MANUFACTURING
Started production in 1976 with the first car rolling off the assembly line in August, 1976
Cumulative production since inception now stands at approximately 60,000 cars. The plant was originally designed to produce light and heavy commercial cars including Land Rovers, Range Rovers, Volkswagen Microbuses, Leyland trucks and Buses.
The car model range produced at Kenya Car Manufacturers Limited has increased over the years and now stands at 11. The range today includes Nissan Series, Mazda, Land Rover, Mercedes and Iveco. The plant covers an area of 40 acres of which 18 acres are reserved for further development.
Installed capacity is 6,600 cars per annum, single shift. The company undertakes contract assembly i.e the customer (distributor) buys imports and transports kits to the plant at Thika. The customer buys all special jigs and tools and provides all local content except paint, fuel, oil and consumables.